Before you get started you need to gather your supplies: food processor, spatula, baby food trays, steamer pot, your choice of organic produce, and a knife or vegetable peeler.
1. Peel the fruit or vegetable using the knife or vegetable peeler and then chop into 1 inch cubes.
2. Determine if your fruit or vegetable needs to be cooked. Most vegetables will need to be steamed or boiled while many ripe fruits are soft enough without cooking. To steam your organic produce, fill the bottom of the pot with between 1 and 2 inches of water and turn the heat to medium. Place the fruit or vegetable cubes into the steamer pot and place the lid on top. Your produce is cooked when you can mash a cube with a fork. Do not discard water.
3. Place the soft cubes into the food processor and pulse until the desired consistency is reached. For tough fruits and vegetables or early eaters, you will need to add in some of the water that you used for steaming. Adding more water will make a thinner consistency that is perfect for babies that are new to eating solid foods. (You can always add rice cereal to make it thicker before serving.) Older babies will be able to eat thicker baby food with chunks.
4. Pour the baby food mixture into your baby food trays and stick in the freezer.
5. After the baby food cubes freeze, you can pop them out as needed and let thaw for delicious homemade organic baby food!
Voila! I told you it was easy! Some of my daughter's favorites were banana, pear, mango, soybean, and carrot. Do not be afraid to try new fruits and vegetables or even new combinations! Your child will thank you for providing them with delicious food that is free from preservatives! Pick up the Freshbaby cookbook at Green Baby Green Mama for more tips, tricks and inspiration.