It is quite challenging for a mother to take care of their infant at home. However, this might be more demanding when it comes to traveling with babies especially if you don’t have any ideas on what to prepare for them. We make sure that they will be sufficiently provided with foods and comfort during your trip. In addition to this, this is more demanding when they are already over 6 months old because they are starting to eat solid foods.So what would be an appropriate food for babies during travelling?
Moreover, you would not want to feed your baby food from outside sources. This might leave you in a fit, so take a deep breath because we’ve got you covered.
This will serve as a helpful list for a GREAT baby food while travelling in India that will assist you to be the super-mom that you are right now. With these recipes in your hand, you are rest assured that you’re ready to conquer the world or wherever it is that you’re visiting. So let’s get started-
- Homemade Cerelac for 6 months Baby
- Fruit Puree Recipes for Babies
- Formula Milk/Breastmilk
Lets get started and have a detailed look at these food items in the article below. After that, discussing on the ingredients to prepare for our babies then we’ll discuss the Do’s and Don’ts of things you should keep in mind while travelling with the baby.
Here’s the list of Baby Foods to bring along with you;
This may be packaged or Homemade Cerelac. Cerelac of any kind is healthy, yummy and nutritious and very easy to prepare on the go.
Nestle claims, “Cerelac instant cereals include a range of nutritious, easily-digested instant cereals. Suitable as a complementary food for infants from six months onwards, when breast milk alone no longer meets the baby’s growing nutritional requirements”.
For making this, mix about 2-3 tablespoons of Cerelac powder in the required amount of warm milk that can be easily carried in a thermos flask and that’s just about it. Cerelac, homemade or packaged, is not only a great source of nutrients but will keep the baby full for longer, thus eliminating the need of in-between snacking.
2. Fruit Purees
Fruit purees are the most common and in demand food substitute among mothers to start as first foods. Since fruits are known to be highly nutritious, easy to prepare and is good for your babies tummy. It contains a lot of important vitamins and minerals which makes them the more desirabletakeaway foods.
The most common are apple puree, mango puree and banana puree. In making a puree, of any kind, all you need is a fruit and a fork. You just have to simply mash the fruit in a clean bowl using a fork. You can even add a little warm milk to make the consistency a little runny so that your baby is able to swallow the food properly.
Purees make sure that your baby gets his/her share of nutrients. Also, they can be prepared on the go and hence are great for travel.
3. Formula Milk/Breastmilk
Milk is known to be a common drink for both babies and adults alike. It is considered as a “complete food” since it has a wide range of nutrient content which means that its to obvious that this will always be on your list to bring while you are away from home. During your travel, the first substitute that comes to mind is breastfeeding hence it is more convenient and can be given any time and anywhere but for most people they find it uncomfortable to feed in a public place. That is the reason that you may use breast pump to collect and store milk in advance and use it as needed or babied demand.
However, if breastfeeding is not possible, the next option would be is to bring a formula milk with you since it can be easily prepared by just mixing powdered formula with preferred amount of water. Another important thing to consider is that formula milk contains “Casein” which takes a longer time to digest, hence formula-fed babies go longer between servings.
To make a point, the decision making will be at your end whether you have to choose either formula or breastmilk. Whatever you prefer, Milk will always be present on your baby’s diet that’s why bringing it during your travel is very important.
Porridge is another best choice which is beneficial enough and can be handy while your on the go. Introducing porridge to your baby daily provides a ton of benefits since it has a high fiber content, including protein, magnesium, iron, zinc, antioxidants and both vitamins B and E. This will give your baby a boost on immune system and can fight infection against any diseases.
The most common of all porridges are rice porridge, oats porridge, wheat porridge, etc.
To make porridge:
- Boil some rice in a sufficient amount of water.
- Add freshly cut fruits like apples or bananas and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mash the mixture thoroughly. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Your porridge is ready to eat.
- Once it gets cooled, store it in a container.
This porridge can be taken anywhere. Apart from being filling and highly nutritious, porridges are easily preparable and comforting to the taste buds. They make wonderful lunch and dinner meals for the little ones.
If your baby turns 6 months old, oats can be already given to her as part of your baby’s diet plan. Oats are mainly rich in fiber, protein, and calcium which found soothing to your baby. It has been proven that babies prefer oatmeal cereal other than rice cereal because of its taste. So from now on to make sure that your baby will eat the food you prepare, just make sure that you bring their favorite oatmeal along with you during your travel.
You can prepare their favorite oatmeal by-
- Boil water or breast milk in a pan.
- Add in oatmeal powder and stir continuously.
- Mashed fruits can be added if desired.
- Your oatmeal is ready. Let it cool and then pack.Also, oats can be mixed with other dishes like Cerelac or porridge for that extra goodness.
Oats are not only an extremely healthy option but keep the baby satiated for longer. These are super easy to make and can be prepared in a jiffy, thus making them as one of the best food choices for your baby for traveling.
What better way to feed your child something healthy, apart from the traditional Indian Khichdi. It is one of the best meals for your child, nutritious as well as yummy. This simple dish contains the nourishment of veggies, so you may not worry.
Khichdi can be prepared in advance and then packed for your trip. To make this yummy khichdi, follow the below steps:
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add some cumin seeds and cook till they turn brown.
- Add veggies of your choice and cook again for 4-5 minutes till the veggies become soft.
- Now, add in soaked rice and dal and repeat sauteing.
- Pour in water and salt as needed.
- Close the pressure cooker and let it whistle at least twice.
- Your khichdi is ready.
The DOs and DON’Ts when Travelling with a Baby:
Moms tend to be a little concerned about their tiny tots, especially when it comes to traveling. With a little help, you can certainly pull this through. To help you out, we have compiled a list of baby-feeding DOs and DON’Ts that can make your first travel with your baby a lot hassle-free-
- You should always bring your own utensils with you such as plates ,spoons and cups to avoid taking the risk of using a unclean utensils
- Make sure that you perform handwashing before feeding your baby to avoid getting infection from you.
- You should bring a bottle cooler/warmer which will keep your baby bottles cool and can heat them later before using it again when you need them.
- Do remember to carry placemats with you. This way you can be sure that your baby is eating off a clean surface.
- It is probably best if you carry homemade food for your baby. Your baby’s digestive system is delicate and may not get used to outside food.
- And lastly, enjoy. You’ve conquered this.
Credit to our friends: https://goo.gl/PGhiKU